I adore sushi. My budget does not adore sushi. I mean you can eat your body weight in this stuff. So how exactly does one feed one’s sushi addiction without breaking the bank? DIY! Yes, you can.
I’ll admit, it looks intimidating. Looks however, can be deceiving. So are you ready? We’re gonna do it! We’re gonna do it…now!
Ready. Set. GO!
What you will need:
- Sushi Rice – Prepared and in a bowl set to the side
- Rice Vinegar
- An assortment of veggies, seafood, cream cheese, cucumber, avocado, etc.
- Nori seaweed sheets
- Low sodium soy sauce for dipping
- Pickled Ginger and Wasabi if desired
- Sushi rolling mat
1. Cut your choice of veggies and seafood into thin, matchstick size pieces. Asparagus doesn’t need to be cut and can be used whole. Cream cheese is easily added by making a thin slice on the very edge of the block.
2. Mix rice vinegar with your rice
3. Place a seaweed sheet onto the rolling mat. With wet fingers, evenly spread the rice onto the seaweed, leaving about 1 inch at the end.
4. Place veggie and seafood onto the rice and begin to roll.
5. Make sure your rolls are tightly rolled using the rolling mat for leverage.
6. Once you have completed your roll, secure the end by dampening the edge of the seaweed wrapper with water and sealing. Now you may cut your roll into pieces using a sharp, damp knife.
See y’all! Nothing to it! So go on and get to rolling!
I like easy. I LOVE sushi! Bon appetit y’all!