As today is National Appetizer Day, I thought I’d share our most recent, favorite appetizer with you! It’s easy, sweet and gooey, and it looks like a million bucks!
Baked Camembert, Cranberries & Pistachios with Honey Whiskey Sauce
- 1 round Camembert cheese – You can also use Brie
- 1 pie crust – a rolled refrigerated or homemade
- 2 tbsp. shelled pistachios (you can really pick your favorite nut for this…pecans and walnuts would also be fantastic)
- 2 or 3 tbsp. good whiskey or bourbon (If you prefer not to use alcohol, you may substitute with sweet tea)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. butter – cubed or shaved
- 3 tbsp. dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1 egg white
Remove a very thin slice of the top of the cheese wheel and discard. Place wheel in the center of the pie crust. Mix honey and whiskey. Taste now and add more honey or whiskey depending on your taste. Add cranberries and nuts to the top of the cheese wheel. Drizzle with honey whiskey mixture and top with the butter. Bring all sides of the dough into the center and fold/pinch closed. Brush with egg white. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until the dough is cooked through and the top is golden brown. Serve with crackers and apple slices.
I like cheese. Bon appetit y’all!