cauliflower recipes, cauliflower slaw, crab mac n cheese, grilled side dishes, Mustard Potato Salad, smaoked mac n cheese, smoked cauliflower, smoked foods, smoked potato salad, Smoked side dishes, Smoker recipes, top recipes for the grill, top recipes for the smoker
I had a great weekend. All of my weekends are pretty fabulous because, well, it’s the WEEKEND.
This one however, was super fabulous. My BFF Rhonda and her fiance Buck spent the weekend with us for the Sweetwater 420 Music Festival. Let me tell you, it was SWEET!
We got to listen to great music, eat tons of real junk food, play in the rain, play in the mud and act like we were kids! It just doesn’t get any better than nachos and margaritas at 3 am y’all. I had kinda forgotten how much fun that really is 😉
Typically our weekends are full of foods on the grill and smoker, but this weekend was totally WET. So that was a no go. We sure did have fun in the rain though. If I learned one thing over the course of this weekend, it’s that you are NEVER too old to play in the mud with best friends. 🙂
Applewood Smoked Cauliflower Slaw
- 1/2 head cauliflower, roasted then chopped in a food processor until crumbly
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/4 pound purple cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip or mayo, your choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Applewood Chips
Place your first four ingredients in a foil pan. Toss well. Set aside.
Whisk remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Place in a small grill safe container. Set aside.
Prepare grill or smoker using applewood chips. Place both vegetables and dressing on smoker or grill, away from direct heat. We like to use Applewood chips for this slaw. Allow to smoke about 15-20 minutes, but do not allow vegetables to cook. Remove both items from grill. Toss dressing with slaw, then cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
Hickory Smoked Crab Mac N Cheese
- 1½ cups of penne, cooked and drained (reserve 1/2 cup pasta water)
- 6 oz claw crab meat
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 large shallot, chopped finely
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 oz. fresh Parmesan, grated
- 4 oz. smoked Gouda, grated
- 8 oz. wedge Brie, rind removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- Hickory Chips
Add crab meat to drained pasta. Set aside. In a small sauce pan add butter and shallot. Saute until crisp tender. Add flour. Whisk to form a roux. Whisk in remaining ingredients adding cheeses last. Whisk sauce until melted and silky. Pour over past and crab. Toss well incorporating all ingredients.
Pour ingredients into a foil pan. Top with additional Parmesan if desired. Place on the smoker or grill prepared with Hickory chips for about 45 minutes or until pasta is set. Sprinkle with Smoked Paprika.
Mesquite Smoked Mustard Potato Salad
- 12 Yukon Gold potatoes quartered
- 2 boiled eggs – diced (Tip: I boil my eggs with my potatoes)
- 3 stalks celery – finely diced
- 1/4 onion – finely diced
- 1 cup Miracle whip or Mayonnaise – your choice
- 1/2 cup “cheap, yellow mustard”
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
- 2 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- Mesquite Chips
Mix all ingredients in a grill safe container except potatoes and Paprika. Place on the smoker or grill prepared with Mesquite chips. Place quartered potatoes in a foil pan and place on the grill or smoker uncovered and cook until tender. Remove both from grill and toss potatoes with dressing. Cover and place in the fridge until chilled.
Life is too short to eat ugly food y’all.
…and way to short to ever stop being a kid.